Monday, October 17, 2011

Roadrunner

This last week's training schedule was 3, 5, 3, and 8 miles. I ran tuesday, wednesday, thursday and saturday. The first two runs went well without any notable problems or issues. I ran my 3 mile run on tuesday my fastest time yet, not that it matters, but it makes me feel good. Thursday's 3 miler I really dragged. I ran in the evening and the weather was ok, but I felt really tired. Rob thinks it was because it was the third day in the row of running. Lets hope so.


Saturday was my 8 mile run. To be honest, I really had a hard time with it. For starters, I didn't get to go out in the morning like I had planned. I started the run at about 4 pm, in the blazing heat. The sun was hot and it was 96 degrees when I started. Secondly, I was mentally not at my peak and had a rough couple days leading up to the run. I had a hard time keeping my thoughts positive, and for the first time since training, I really struggled with negative thoughts. I have been tired and had discomfort in the past but I have never really wanted to stop until Saturday. I started doubting my ability to do this training, and wondered how I was going to do 10, 12, 18, and then 26 miles if this 8 mile run was so hard! I kept myself going. I told myself that this run was my test, and I needed to prove to myself that I was stronger than the conditions around me. That my mind was in charge, not my body. I know I need to focus on what I am doing while I am running and not worry about what is coming up, but it's hard sometimes to focus your mind. I know I have a long way to go to train myself mentally to do this. I finished the run, but it was slow, stumbling and clumsy. I think I even shuffled my feet at some points. I did finish, didn't stop or walk, and I survived. My knees however, were pretty sore near the end, and have been pretty sore since. Thank goodness for a day or recovery after a long run. I really need it.


The highlight of my run was seeing a roadrunner at about mile 4. I've never seen one so that was cool. Especially since I am road runner...hee hee. I have seen quite the variety of desert animals on my runs thus far. The trail I have been running on is called Skunk Creek Trail. It runs beside a dry creek bed. I've seen multitudes of cotton-tailed rabbits. They are always running across the running path and through the shrubbery. There are also many quails, and mourning doves. I've seen a few lizards, and I even once saw a coyote at night.


This week I have also been focusing on stretching. I've tried to make sure and stretch well after the runs. I like stretching, but usually I am in too much of a rush to concentrate on stretching well. So, I've tried to get a good all body stretching session at the completion of each run.

No comments:

Post a Comment