Tuesday, November 8, 2011

12 miles

This week's training schedule had us run 4, 6, 4, and 12 miles.

The four mile runs went fine, no issues, pretty unremarkable, except for further decreasing my time, yeah! I ran the six mile again on the treadmill.

The trouble started with my 12 mile run. Not that is was trouble, the run itself actually went really well. Rob and I went a little later at night. I worked Friday night, and after I got up we had some errands and then ate dinner and got all the kids ready and settled into bed before we actually started our run at about 8pm. I was able to mentally and physically stay strong and motivated. Rob and I both agreed that it is amazing that we have come so far. At the beginning of training 12 miles seemed so long, and now we're doing it with little difficulty...

Except for my knees. They both started out a little achy but that went away and they felt great until between 5 and 6 miles. Then they really started to hurt, especially my left one. The pain would come in waves; achy and sore, alternating with sharp stabbing pain that made me feel like I could hardly walk, let alone keep running. I kept going, because I knew if I stopped they would really stiffen up and I wouldn't be able to get going again. It is extremely frustrating, because outside of the knee pain, I felt like I could run and run and run. I really wasn't too tired or fatigued. I finished the run with a good time, even though I was frustrated with pain.

For those with a weaker stomach, skip this next section. My stomach started cramping and rolling the last couple miles. I really needed to get home, if you know what I mean. I got home and through the gates and headed straight for the pool. I sped walked past a couple making out in the hot tub and made it just in time to the bathroom. Pheww.

Anyway, I'm having a little bit of internal debate and uncertainty at how to further proceed in my training. Today, after resting 2 days my knees are feeling somewhat better. I have been icing and taking ibuprofen. I also started taking Glucosamine today. But, I'm not running. I'm afraid at how far I should push this pain. I don't want to cause further damage, but I also really don't want to miss out on any training. I keep thinking my knees will get used to the added strain and get better on their own, but now I'm beginning to wonder. hmmmm. I just don't know.

Well, I guess you will just have to stay tuned for next week to see what I decided.

1 comment: